“… Let no one attempt with small gifts of charity
to exempt themselves from the great duties imposed by justice.”
Pope Pius XI, Divini Redemptoris , #49
Since 1931 Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Miami, Inc. has been making a difference in the lives of people who are poor and vulnerable in South Florida. Our services improve the lives of children, the elderly, people with disabilities, low-income individuals and families, and those struggling with addiction. Through strategic partnerships with donors, and the private and public sectors of our community, we leverage resources to provide optimum solutions for each client.
Our comprehensive programs include:
- Adult Day Care
- Behavioral Health Care
- Child Development
- Elderly Services
- Housing & Shelter Services
- Prevention Services
- Refugee Resettlement Services
- Volunteer Friendship Ministry (HIV/AIDS Services)
Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Miami works to address the systemic causes of poverty and build just communities here and abroad. We partner with the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, the Catholic Campaign for Human Development, Catholic Relief Services, and local community organizations to help low-income people achieve self-sufficiency.
Catholic Relief Services
We work together with Catholic Relief Services to raise awareness of global poverty, engage the Catholic Community, and provide the resources to end it. This partnership engages the Catholic Community in South Florida through:
- Educational campaigns such as: Operation Rice Bowl, Fair Trade, and Food Fast
- Legislative advocacy on international development initiatives
- Participation in the annual Catholic Relief Services collection
- Disaster Relief
Catholic Campaign for Human Development
As a diocesan partner of the Catholic Campaign for Human Development, we seek to address the root causes of poverty by:
- Educating the Catholic Community on the systemic causes of domestic poverty
- Building relationships among low-income groups and higher-income people
- Encouraging Catholics in South Florida to participate in domestic advocacy efforts supported by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, and
- Conducting site visits and reviewing activities of local CCHD-funded groups to ensure that their activities conform to the moral and social teachings of the Catholic Church
We can break the cycle of poverty by empowering low-income people to help themselves, standing in solidarity with them, and educating others about unjust structures that create poverty.
Catholic Charities serves as the lead agency for disaster response in the Archdiocese of Miami. Our hurricane response team is frequently mobilized to provide food, water, and other essential items throughout Florida. When international disasters strike we work with Catholic Relief Services and CARITAS to provide for those who have been impacted.
Financial contributions to Catholic Charities’ Disaster Relief Fund are the most effective way to help people who are suffering. Monetary donations allow us to:
- Purchase supplies in bulk
- Deliver items most urgently needed based on on-the-ground assessments
- Minimize delivery time and shipping costs