Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Miami works to address the systemic causes of poverty and build just communities here and abroad. We partner with the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, the Catholic Campaign for Human Development, Catholic Relief Services, and local community organizations to help low-income people achieve self-sufficiency.
Catholic Relief Services
We work together with Catholic Relief Services to raise awareness of global poverty, engage the Catholic Community, and provide the resources to end it. This partnership engages the Catholic Community in South Florida through:
- Educational campaigns such as: Operation Rice Bowl, Fair Trade, and Food Fast
- Legislative advocacy on international development initiatives
- Participation in the annual Catholic Relief Services collection
- Disaster Relief
Catholic Campaign for Human Development
As a diocesan partner of the Catholic Campaign for Human Development, we seek to address the root causes of poverty by:
- Educating the Catholic Community on the systemic causes of domestic poverty
- Building relationships among low-income groups and higher-income people
- Encouraging Catholics in South Florida to participate in domestic advocacy efforts supported by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, and
- Conducting site visits and reviewing activities of local CCHD-funded groups to ensure that their activities conform to the moral and social teachings of the Catholic Church.
We can break the cycle of poverty by empowering low-income people to help themselves, standing in solidarity with them, and educating others about unjust structures that create poverty.